19 March 2017

Starting a New Art Project-Part 3

Hello everyone! Today, I'm here with the final part of 'Starting A New Art Project'! This time, I'll be talking about the backgrounds that I create to start of the pages in my project. I enjoy creating backgrounds because it's fun to just let loose on a blank piece of paper and get creative with materials! Some people don't create backgrounds for their school art projects, so don't feel like you have to. I just enjoy doing it and think that it pulls together the project nicely. To get better marks in your GCSE Art project, it's probably best to focus on the quality of your own drawings and photos, rather than the backgrounds but I still like to make them. Anyway, I'll get on with showing you examples of my backgrounds!

 This background is the first one that I created for my 'Personal Collection' project. It's the background for my title page so I wanted it to be really special. I created it using a decoupage technique (ripping small squares out of paper and layering them with PVA glue) with newspaper. I chose this technique because I thought the words in the newspaper reflected the theme of stationery. Once the newspaper had dried, I used a sponge to put on the three primary colours:red,blue and yellow. I also added some whiet over the top of some areas to brighten it up. I like the textured look I have created.

This second background was created for the moodboard. You can see part of the title there that I created with glitter, it didn't exactly go to plan. However, I'm quite happy with the background. I used a water blotting technique with primary colours: red, blue and yellow. I have tried to do several backgrounds in the primary colours, to tie the project together. If you don't know 'water blotting' is where you first put water on your page, then you put paint over the top and it spreads out.

This background is for the own photos page. I created it with a sponge, acrylic paint in primary colours, white acrylic paint, alphabet stamps and black ink. I like the distressed look I have created with the black ink edging that I have created and the white paint that dulled down the colour. The letters tie in with the stationery theme again like the newspaper writing did.


This one was for an artist page about Andrea Joseph. This didn't tie in with the primary colour thing that I have mainly been using because the artist pages seem quite separate from the rest of the project, because the rest of the project is my own idea whereas these pages are someone else's ideas. I hope that made sense hehe! Anyway, the main background was lined paper but this is the border. I created it with map paper, bubble wrap and acrylic paint. The acrylic paint was put on the bubblewrap which acted like a stamp. I like using bubblewrap because it creates an interesting texture.

 This next background was for the artist response page, which is where you draw from your own photos but in the style of the artist you are studying (Andrea Joseph in this case). I went back to the primary colours since this is my own work this time. I used the lined paper to represent a notebook. which the artist seems to use a lot for her artwork. The border was created with bubble wrap and acrylic paint in the primary colours and white.

 This final background was for the artist response evaluation. I used scrapbook paper, a colouring book page and white acrylic paint. I ripped up the two papers and layered them on the paper with PVA glue. I then used a sponge with white acrylic paint to dull down the colours in the papers. I didn't want the black lines and pink pattern to stand out too much since this is just a background.

So that's it! The next time I post it will be a different topic since this was the final 'Starting a New Art Project' post. Once I've finished the project completely (24th April) I'll probably show you all of the pages in full. But for now, I'll be writing new content! I hope you're looking forward to the next time that I post, I've been keeping a list of blog post ideas that are either new topics or bringing back old ones!

PS: Do you like the new Spring background? I drew all of the elements this time: the tulips and the blossom. I put it together on PicMonkey.

Over to you...
Do you enjoy creating backgrounds for creative projects such as your sketchbook or creative journal? Or do you enjoy making collages? Also, what topics do you want to see on my blog in the upcoming months?

7 comments:

  1. Hey!

    You're really creative; I particularly like the background with the map, and one before that with black text.

    I used to visual journal a lot...although I never quite got into making background. I enjoy making photo montages, more so than collages.

    If you'd like to see what my artistic process looks like, you can see my latest journal here: http://www.socialspying.com/2017/02/my-art-journal-i-migration.html

    Also, i love that you blog's name is an alliteration!

    Steph
    www.socialspying.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello. Thank you so much! That sounds like a really great creative outlet-I've wanted to do something creative with a journal for a while, but haven't tried it out yet. I found your art journal very interesting to read about. I was especially inspired by the black acrylic paint, oil pastel and wire technique that you used! Thanks, I like the blog name too but it annoys me that it doesn't have an apostrophe, I think someone else had the apostrophe in their blogger blog when I set it up so I couldn't have it in mine! Anyway, thank you for commenting. :D

      Delete
  2. The third background took my eye particularly. I LOVE compiling collages, whether for my own personal leisure or for others as a gift. To be honest, I haven't come across an art journal/art project on a blog before so it's actually quite exciting and fun.

    BBB x www.beautybeblogger.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, I tried to be really creative with that one so I'm glad you like it too. I agree, making collages or moodboards is so fun. I love to come up with themes and colour schemes. Thanks for commenting. :D

      Delete
  3. Hey Megan this is a super inspiring post! I love how you've given us an insight into the different styles of backgrounds you used in your project/art GCSE on the whole and it's so nice taking a look at the beautiful, creative designs you've come up with! :D

    I love the technique you used in the first one! Decoupage is something I'm really interested in and I really like the way you combined this using a sponge with paint to create the final layer. Oh my, I love the water-blotted background in the second one - it reminds me of the special patterned paper you can find in Florence (Italy)! I haven't actually tried water blotting before... maybe I'll have a go! Haha I know what adding glitter to shapes on paper feels like! xD Do you use the technique were you use a paintbrush with glue on it to go over the letters, shake the glitter on top and then use a sheet of paper to tap the excess off (and re-use it) or do you use a different technique? Wow, the third one has such a beautiful fantasy theme! It reminds me of a kind of vintage aesthetic! C: It's hard to say I have favourite as such from here since they're all so amazing but if I were being honest I think this one is my personal favourite! ^^ The one inspired by Andrea Joseph has a really interesting theme! Ah I see what you mean there... kind of like the artist pages taking you in one, strict direction, where as the rest of the project is more flexible and unique? Whoa I hadn't thought of using bubblewrap as a stamp - the texture it creates looks incredible!! I think the over all result is perfect, it brings themes of a travel aesthetic! I love how you've brought back the theme of lined paper in the next one, it's a great key to connecting with the original style of the artist! How did you come up with the idea for your work based on your photos (in the style of the artist) in contrast to the one before where you used the artist's photos as inspiration? (I hope that makes sense there! xD) It's nice how you moved onto the next level with decoupage in the last one using two varying pages! The way you dulled down the colour a little in this one makes for a cute/soft pastel-like outcome!

    Thanks for sharing this Megan, it was really intriguing! I found this post very useful since I usually struggle with ideas for backgrounds in my artwork but this has opened the doors to so many more ideas! To answer your question there, I need to work on creating backgrounds more in traditional art (I don't know if you've noticed but my traditional background usually has a white background unless I re-draw it digitally... I'm working on it though! xD). As for a creative journal, I haven't made one of those yet although I have a countless collection of empty notebooks! ... Unfortunately I don't think I got to see your spring background! D: Do you think you could upload it in a post on here/Instagram? (Or you may have done and I might not have seen it!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Kenza! Thank you! I'm so glad that you enjoyed this post! Hopefully I'll be doing a final post on this art project soon, but I've been very busy with mocks recently so I'm sorry it's been a while!

      I've just looked up the paper from Florence that you mentioned and wow they are gorgeous! They seem so luxurious, I'll have to google how to recreate that for one of my future art projects! Yes I put glue on the letters with a paintbrush, then put glitter on top and then shook it off. But perhaps I didn't put enough glue on? Anyway, I won't be trying it again since my art teacher hates glitter hehe. Thank you, the third one was my favourite too (but I like the first one too). Yes that's what I mean; I don't think I'll go for a colour scheme in my next project because each artist inspires a different colour scheme in their art work. I thin I know what you mean in the question. The art project has a structure where you have to do a page on everything it tells you to. One of the sections of the project focuses o gathering inspiration from artists. You have to do an artist page (with info, photos of their work and copies of their work) and then you have to do and artist response (which is where you take one of your own photos and drawn it in their style, e.g using the same medium). In this case, I used a photo of buttons that were organised in rings for each colour of the rainbow, I used colourful biros (like the artist Andrea Joseph) and I created a background to make it interesting. I hope that's helped to answer your question!

      You're welcome and thank YOU so much for another lovely comment! I'm so glad that you've been inspired my my post! I'm with you there on empty notebooks-I buy them whenever I see a gorgeous one but I don't have an idea in mind on how to fill it! Yes I'll send you my Spring background on Instagram, or perhaps I'll post it to my account for my blog soon! I haven't posted there for a while! :D

      Delete
    2. Hey Kenza! Thank you! I'm so glad that you enjoyed this post! Hopefully I'll be doing a final post on this art project soon, but I've been very busy with mocks recently so I'm sorry it's been a while!

      I've just looked up the paper from Florence that you mentioned and wow they are gorgeous! They seem so luxurious, I'll have to google how to recreate that for one of my future art projects! Yes I put glue on the letters with a paintbrush, then put glitter on top and then shook it off. But perhaps I didn't put enough glue on? Anyway, I won't be trying it again since my art teacher hates glitter hehe. Thank you, the third one was my favourite too (but I like the first one too). Yes that's what I mean; I don't think I'll go for a colour scheme in my next project because each artist inspires a different colour scheme in their art work. I thin I know what you mean in the question. The art project has a structure where you have to do a page on everything it tells you to. One of the sections of the project focuses o gathering inspiration from artists. You have to do an artist page (with info, photos of their work and copies of their work) and then you have to do and artist response (which is where you take one of your own photos and drawn it in their style, e.g using the same medium). In this case, I used a photo of buttons that were organised in rings for each colour of the rainbow, I used colourful biros (like the artist Andrea Joseph) and I created a background to make it interesting. I hope that's helped to answer your question!

      You're welcome and thank YOU so much for another lovely comment! I'm so glad that you've been inspired my my post! I'm with you there on empty notebooks-I buy them whenever I see a gorgeous one but I don't have an idea in mind on how to fill it! Yes I'll send you my Spring background on Instagram, or perhaps I'll post it to my account for my blog soon! I haven't posted there for a while! :D

      Delete

Any ideas, feedback or praise? Select 'notify me' so you know when you get a reply from me or someone else.