05 June 2015

Fimo Clay Review+My Creations

In my last post (Read With Your Cuppa' #2) I mentioned something called fimo clay so today I'm going to introduce you all to the craft supply in more detail and show you some of my creations.

So what is fimo clay?
Fimo clay is a  particular brand of polymer clay which is basically oven hardening clay. This is different because normal clay is air hardening and has a completely different texture. Polymer clay is more like a play dough texture except more smooth whereas normal air hardening clay is quite dry and almost fluffy as you tear it apart.

So why have I written about Fimo clay rather than another brand of polymer clay?
Fimo clay is the only type of polymer clay I have tried and tested so I decided to post about this so you can get an honest opinion on what I think about the product. It is also quite a well known brand of clay so more of you may know it.

What don't I like about fimo clay?
I find it quite difficult to work the clay before I can start to mould it. I think the consistency should be softer so it is easier to shape without it snapping. Most of the time that I take making something out of fimo clay is used warming it up which can be annoying when I'm trying to quickly create something.

What do I like about fimo clay?
I love the bright colours of this brand and the range of glitter clays that they have on offer. I think fimo clay is a fun craft yet it reminds me of when I used to play with  kid's plastecine. This is a really great activity to do in your spare time and the possibilities are endless! Whether you make an animal, a container or your favourite character, you're always having fun!

Now let's have a look at my new creations



Here is a group photo of all 3 creations that is going to be featured today. I have made a kawaii inspired unicorn, a duck and a ring bowl (or small trinket holder). I'll giev you a small description of each model next to it's photo. :)




Kawaii Inspired Unicorn
I've recently been interested in kawaii style things so I decided to make a unicorn...for some reason that seemed kawaii to me at the time. :) I used mainly pastel colours to create this model because I thought it fitted with the theme. To make the the mane and tail I rolled orange, baby blue, pastel pink and glittery silver clay into individual sausage shapes then laid them next to each other. After they were connected, I twisted the whole piece of clay all the way down. I then worked it a bit more before shaping it into a mane and tail.


Duck 


To make this cute little fella, I followed a youtube tutorial (I think it was created by SoCraftastic) which was really helpful! I love the bright colours and I think it closely resembles a rubber duck! Also, the clay became slightly more transparent after I cooked it for some reason (it kind of looks cool though).




Ring Bowl


I made this multipurpose mini bowl out of the same mixed clay I used on the unicorn model except I worked it more. I twirled the clay into a flat spiral then pinched each side slightly to give it a bowl-like shape. This tiny, decorative bowl is perfect for storing your rings or another small item!




The verdict?
Overall I give the fimo clay 7 out of 10 stars. I knocked off three stars because it takes up way too much time to heat up the clay and start to work it. On the other hand I love this product because of the fun colours and the wide range of tools you can buy alongside it. There are plenty of moulds to choose from and there are even some texture sheets you can buy. I would recommend you buying this type of polymer clay or perhaps you could try a few to compare them. Making models out of fimo clay is a great activity to prevent boredom.

I hope you liked today's post. I thought I would do something a bit different today so please let me know in the comments whether you would like to see more reviews. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Any ideas, feedback or praise? Select 'notify me' so you know when you get a reply from me or someone else.