20 February 2015

LipBalm Love

I absolutely love lip balm and the chance to create my own came from a cute little kit that I got from a past birthday, I've been so excited to use it for a while and since I'm having a crafty half term, I decided to use it. It's more of a DIY craft rather than an arty craft but oh well it still fits into the crafty category. To make the lip balm you had to have a bowl filled slightly with water then you had to fit in a slightly smaller bowl into the other one. After that I put the stove on a slow simmer and put into the empty bowl-coconut oil, beeswax and cocoa butter. To help it melt, you need to keep stirring it to move it all around. Once it was in a liquid form, 5-10 drops of essential oil had to be stirred into the mixture. I chose organic lemon oil to give it a citrus burst. Once the scent was in, you had to puncture two vitamin E capsules and squeeze them into the mixture. The vitamin E helps to preserve the lip balm and also helps your skin feel soft when you wear it on your lips. You should have given it one last stir and turned the heat off before carefully pouring into two containers. If you have any extra you should set it aside in a bowl to reheat later but I used a large bottle cap as a container for the extra, it didn't have a lid but this way my Mum could have some of the lovely lip balm too. Once it was poured in you should leave the containers on the side on a work surface to cool, this shouldn't take to long to harden and then you can  lose them up. Once I had make these fabulous products, I went to my room to package them up nicely. For labels I cut a sticky backed label into four quarters and stick one quarter onto each side of the (2) containers. These were the perfect size so I proceeded onto the text. On the front I wrote handmade lemon lip balm (so people knew I really made it myself tee hee) and on the back I wrote the ingredients. I kept one of them (the ones with lids BTW) for myself and wrapped up another for my friend. I used lemon patterned tissue paper (the same paper as I used for the decoupage box in my last post) and wrote for you on the front. Here's a picture I took of the finished look!
   I really hope you have many fun attempts at making your own lip balm because it is really rewarding  (and doesn't take that much effort or time to make). Mine turned out really well, they smell delicious and feel really moisturizing on my skin. I also think they last a long time once you have put them on your lips. This is an essential for your makeup bag and it's great  to pack in your school bag to keep you refreshed!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Any ideas, feedback or praise? Select 'notify me' so you know when you get a reply from me or someone else.